It’s very common to feel low and teary after birth especially with the fluctuation of hormones, and when the milk comes through. This is referred to as the ‘baby blues’ and happens 2-4 days after birth. It only lasts for a short period, usually a few days. Being ina hospital environment can also be conducive to a low mood.
Post natal depression can develop any time over the first year particularly around the time the baby is four to six months old. One in ten women will develop this illness which isn’t surprising given the often overwhelming adjustment to motherhood.
Symptoms Of Depression
- Feeling low and tearful
- Thoughts of death and self harm
- Unable to cope with everyday tasks
- Unable to concentrate or make decisions
- Feelings of guilt
- Irritable and angry
- Hostility towards others
- Loss of appetite or over eating
- Sleeping difficulties
- Loss of interest in sex
- Anxiety and panic
- Obsessive fear about the baby’s well being
- Difficulty bonding with the baby