How Do I Find a Therapist?

For peace of mind you should look for a therapist who is registered with either or both of the following organisations:

  • British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
  • United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).

Both organisations set the professional standards and training requirements for their members and are there to protect you should you ever need to make a complaint. I am registered with both the UKCP and BACP. The Counselling Directory also lists verified therapists who are members of the BACP and UKCP.

It is really important that you find a therapist you feel safe and comfortable working with. Go with your ‘gut instinct’. If that person doesn’t feel right then find someone else who you feel you can trust.